Submission for 2018 are now closed
March 1, 2018 - Earlybird Deadline
June 1, 2018 - Regular Deadline
August 1, 2018 - Late Deadline
August 15, 2018 - Extended Deadline
September 20, 2018 - Notification Date
October 31st – 2018 - Event Start Date
Best International Feature
Best International Short
Best Documentary Feature
Best Documentary Short
Best Nordic Narrative Feature
Best Nordic Narrative Short
Best Male Actor
Best Female Actor
Rules and Terms
Short documentaries and narratives short films are preferable programmed if under 22 min and no longer than 45 min.
Feature films are 45 min and up.
International films compete against other narrative international films.
Nordic films are films shot in the Nordic countries or if the majority of the spoken language in the film is from any Nordic or Scandinavian country. You can also qualify for the Nordic submissions if the Director or Producer is from a Nordic or Scandinavian country, please e-mail us for more details. If you are unsure, please submit in the Nordic category and our programmers will make the judgement of moving it to a different category if needed and notify the submitter.
QUALIFICATIONS AND PREMIER STATUS
NIFF does not demand a world or national premiere requirement.
We accept any films completed after January 1, 2017.
Films that have debuted online or been official released outside of a festival are ineligible. For Nordic Feature Films, a limited release in the nordic country of origin will be considered on a case to case basis.
Please submit subtitles on all work except English narratives.
WORK IN PROGRESS OR ROUGH CUTS
Rough cuts of films will be considered as long as the completed version will be ready by August 15, 2018. If your film is a rough cut, please label it as such and list what needs to be completed.
All films are viewed by the festival programmers and/or the jury. Each film is viewed and rated by a industry professional, and will move on to the next stage based off of those ratings. Our programmers and jury will make final decisions and notify filmmakers accordingly.
All decisions are final and feedback for individual films is not available.
DCP AND BLU-RAY SCREENINGS
All films will screen at the festival in DCP or BLU-Ray at the Victor Borge Hall Cinema at Scandinavia House. We will nominate according to categories listed above and select the winning film in each category in the official selection. Winner is entitled to use to laurels on poster and all marketing material. DCP's, Blu-Rays and awards can be picked up our shipped towards postage up to no later than one month after the festival.
NIFF reserves the right to make any necessary changes in regulations or scheduling.
- Films selected may not be withdrawn from the festival program after its announcement.
- All submission fees are non-refundable. We will not return your screening and exhibition copies.
- The festival Directorate may deny participation to any film unable to meet the technical requirements for a public screening of good quality.
- NIFF reserves the right to screen or not screen the films selected in the Official Selection.
- Regardless of their winning status, winning filmmakers who can't attend the Awards Ceremony in New York, will only receive laurels. We reserve the right to decide which nominated films that will be a part of the screening program based on the quality of their showcase Blu-Ray or DCP as well as program scheduling. Winners will be announced online and in press. The festival has the right to work with any institution and partner festivals for all kind of cooperation, including joint events or promotions.
You agree to indemnify us and hold us and our employees, owners, affiliates, and partners harmless from all claims and liability associated with your participation or entry to the NIFF.
Submission of an entry gives the festival permission to have accepted work exhibited, photographed, locally telecast, and reproduced either in part or whole, for educational or festival purposes. Filmmakers can request in writing that their material not be used for such purposes after the festival.
CHANGES AND ALTERATIONS
The festival Management reserves the right to make changes in the profile of the festival, if it becomes necessary to do so due to circumstances beyond his/her control.
The duration of this agreement shall commence as of the date of submission by Owner.